Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The Takeover of Twitter

Today while searching through recent tweets by everyone I follow, I found an article by SimplyZesty explaining Why Twitter Has Become the Best/Worst Thing for TV. Now usually I would have skipped right over the twitter post by Cohn & Wolfe, an advertising agency in the Austin area, but seeing how blog posts are necessary for this PR class, I am always looking for new and interesting thoughts. Although this article was nothing like what I thought it was going to be about.

It summarizes how Twitter's ability to negatively criticize TV shows is becoming terrible for the TV industry. People have the ability to tweet their thoughts about a show more quickly than the show itself can have people tweeting back to control the conversation and defend itself. Consequently, people see the tweets about how unsatisfying the show was and decide not to waste their precious time viewing it. Twitter's fast paced ability to include everyone in the conversation is both a bad and good thing. It also has revitalized shows that were once not as popular to become a prevalent topic in the new age of the Twitter World.

So what did I think the article was going to be about? Knowing myself and the ways I use twitter, I watch TV less than ever before. By following accounts like CNN, The Daily Texan, and Austin news stations I feel more informed than ever. I can constantly catch up on what is going on in the world and read the articles on the go. As for advertisements, I follow the brands I find important in my life and get more information from their tweets than I do in any of their commercials. So naturally, I was thinking the article would take the position that Twitter is taking over TV, but I guess the more I think about it TV will always be necessary and will forever be a largely used advertising outlet.

Fun Fact: Did you know Twitter/Social Media is the number one thing people are giving up for the lent season this year according to multiple sources? Seriously...It's taking over our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment