Thursday, February 2, 2012

Mixing Business with Pleasure


Today we were given our clients for our PR 352 campaign project. While all clients available would have been excellent experience, I am one of the lucky few to have the opportunity to work with the distinguished cancer center in Houston, Texas, M.D. Anderson. Unlike the other clients, our team assignment is unknown as to what we will be doing, but the experience will be both a personal and academic one for me.           

 I think working for M.D. Anderson will be an interesting task. While it is a business and desires to draw in its target audience of cancer patients, it often is not a place people want to think about going to until they have to. M.D. Anderson is known all over the world as a top cancer research center with the leading physicians and surgeons in the country. When reaching out to target audiences I hope to be able to display to the public the incredible work that M.D. Anderson undertakes each day. Some of this work, I personally have had the opportunity to experience in my own family.

Sophomore year of high school, my mom lost vision and was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor two days later. While many Dallas doctors wanted to take drastic and life-threatening measures, the experienced doctors at M.D. Anderson took caution to research all options before making a final diagnosis and treatment decision. After visiting the center frequently for over 3 years, my mom is back to her normal, energetic self and ready to live life to the fullest.

You can imagine my excitement to work for a company that hit so close to home as I was growing up. With all the companies to choose from, I felt a passion for helping M.D. Anderson while gaining my own experience as an individual in the public relations field. I am honored to have the opportunity to not only work for a prestigious company but also give back to them a small amount of the many more years with my mom that they have given me.

 My Beautiful Mom and I Traveling to Celebrate

No comments:

Post a Comment