Thursday, February 16, 2012

Overload of "Love"


Valentine’s Day is the world’s largest advertising and PR campaign ever known to mankind. It had to have been created by the card, candy and flower companies to thrive in the middle months between Christmas and Easter when their only form of income is birthdays and anniversaries. I know what you’re thinking…She is just bitter because she is single. Nope, I have a boyfriend and participated in the Valentine’s Day festivities just like every other girl. I mean as much as I think it is a pointless holiday, I’m not going to pass up delivered flowers and a nice dinner out no matter what day it is.

Personally, I think that every day should be a Valentine’s Day in a relationship, and that there shouldn’t be a day where men are forced to buy presents and flowers and “show their love” to the woman they should be showing their love to every year.

I really realized the obsession over Valentine’s Day the other day when I was watching TV and surfing the Internet. I saw more commercials, tweets, Facebook posts, pop-up ads, and sales all revolving around Valentine’s Day, than I remember seeing during the entire Christmas holiday. Let me remind you that the Christmas season is weeks long and Valentine’s Day is one single holiday, yet we still devote practically the entire time in between Christmas and February 14th to the holiday.

Just found it interesting after taking several advertising and PR classes how much more I noticed the intensity of advertisements, TV shows, articles, and social media revolving around a holiday that we don’t even get school off for. Whatever the flower, candy and card companies did too make their Valentine’s Day campaign a success in the early years, I commend them. It was genius.

No comments:

Post a Comment