Growing up, the Super Bowl was always an annual event filled with good food, family and America’s sport, football. This year was no different for me except for the fact that none of my favorite NFL teams were participating in the big game, so this year I focused more on the commercials than the actual game itself. The Super Bowl has always been notorious for its highly anticipated commercial breaks that take place every two minutes of playing time. Unlike years before, I did not find the commercials to have the common theme of comedy, but instead many took a different philosophy to be successful, the idea of “sex sells.”
I, along with many others, was surprised with the number of risqué commercials that were shown during such a family-oriented football game. I grew up watching the Super Bowl every year from a young age and never remembered seeing sexual commercials. Maybe times have changed or children are just oblivious, but some of them we found just to be a little too much.
There were three sexy commercials that stuck out to me throughout the course of the game. First Up, Adriana Lima’s advertisement for Teleflora.com. After a seductive 20-second intro she ends the commercial saying “Guys Valentine’s day is not that complicated. Give and you shall receive.” I mean I know we are all young adults and everything, but watching that with my parents right next to me would be extremely awkward
Next, David Beckham’s head to toe shot promoting H&M. This commercial took me off guard for a different reason. It was not directed towards the usual audience of men, but instead was selling sex to women who may have been watching the game
Finally, Go Daddy’s advertisement featuring Danica Patrick body painting a naked model with the Go Daddy symbol. While there were several other advertisements that followed this motif, it makes you wonder how did they all know comedy was out and sexy was in?
No comments:
Post a Comment